Tłumaczenie wykonane przez uczniów klasy III Gimnazjum w ramach projektu gimnazjalnego na rok 2014.
Special Educational Centre named after Maria Grzegorzewska is an institution with a long tradition. It was founded on September 1, 1922 by the student of Professor Maria Grzegorzewska ,Teofil Kijowski. The school was located at Konarskiego Street, not far from the city park, in a small wooden building. Initially there was only one class, but in the next year of its existence, the school had four classes. In the years 1930-1939 the school consisted of six classes. All the teachers working at the time there were graduates of the National Institute of Special Education in Warsaw, and pupils of Professor Maria Grzegorzewska.
There is no further data concerning the activities of the school during the occupation,. This is due to the fire of the school, which took place during this period. Documents burned and the teachers who worked at the facility during the long war, they died. We only know that the school did not stop their activities.
After the Second World War the school started official work again. It received a new room in the old part of the building at ul. Sienkiewicz 36 (now it houses the University of Podlasie). Most of the students were children of the so-called. „Nest” – an orphanage founded in 1915 and run by Siedlce Bishop’s Curia, located at Starowiejska Street. After the war, „Nest” focused mainly victims of war – orphans, including children from Zamojszczyzna region.
To clearly distinguished teachers of the period, apart from the head of the school, belonged .Stanislawa Zdanowska, Zofia Biernacka, Maria.Nowicka, Maria Olczakowa. All of them worked well in our institution before the war.
In 1952. school founder retired, and the manager was Hanna Opalińska. She held this position briefly, because only until 1955, and her successor was Anna Zmaczyńska who served at this position for 20 years.
She was able to skillfully take advantage of favorable political circumstances. Thanks to her efforts, the wave of renewal, September 1, 1956, the school received a new, adapted and renovated, independent and spacious building at Pl. 1000-lecia 12, which is the school to this very day.
1966 begins a new period in the history of our school. Warsaw School District Board of Trustees transformed the Special Primary School into the Statel Institute of Education. This institution consisted of school and dormitory, including the total care of children from “The Nest”.
Large financial outlays of the state clearly changed the living conditions of children living in an old building at Starowiejska Street 10. This has generally improved children’s food and boarding facilities. Despite the huge narrowness (the number of girls reached to 100), and thanks to the dedicated work of all staff, both teaching staff and auxiliary, work proceeded without major disruption.
State Institute of Education existed until September 1972 year. Then the Warsaw School District Board of Trustees has transformed it into Special Education Centre. This decision was dictated by the need to bring into being, in addition to the existing primary school and dormitory, Vocational School for girls . Two years later, the second course of vocational training –cooking – was added. The founder of the vocational school was Mrs. Stanislaw Bronicka. After her work , Mrs. Kazimiera Gątarek has taken her position. Undoubtedly the vocational school owes them a good start and further development.
In the early seventies, the school building, despite the narrowness, renovated regularly met its tasks. However ,the situation was catastrophic in the dormitory. Wooden building from year to year was literally sinking into the ground. No repairs were able to prolong its life. Provincial authorities have decided to transfer the dormitory to an old building at Sienkiewicz Street 20. Adaptation and renovation lasted nearly three years. Moving took place in March 1975. Children received a decent everyday life: space, drainage, and a large playground.
The second half of the 70s was marked by retirement of Mrs. Anna Zmaczyński, the director of the center . On September 1, 1975. Mrs. Irena Zmaczyńska took her position. The education authorities increased the staff with director of schools and retained existing manager of the dormitory. The first director of schools in the new structure was Mrs. Elizabeth Podziemska. The head of the dormitory was Ewa Trojanowska.
6 May 1977 , in the 55 anniversary of the establishment and the tenth anniversary of the death of Professor Maria Grzegorzewska , the center has received its name. The founder of the banner was the caring facility – Podlasie Cooperative of Invalides.
In 1984. headmaster Mrs. Elizabeth Podziemska retired, and her position was taken over by Kazimierz Banasiuk. A year earlier Ewa Trojanowska resigned as manager of the dormitory. Her responsibilities were taken by Ms. Krystyna Wyszyńska. At the same time the modernization of buildings and equipment of the institution were performed.
Thanks to the efforts of Mrs. Irena Zmaczyńska and her deputy Bogusław Wrzosek, fulfilling that function since 1994., educational, recreational and sports activities were developed . They created new divisions:
Rehabilitation and Tutorial Division
Multiclass elementary school and junior high school divisions for children with special needs.
Vocational College also expanded educational offerings. In addition to the existing professions: tailor and cook, there’s a new one – a carpenter. Mrs. Zmaczyńska gained allies in city government and began cooperation with Practical Training Centre in Siedlce and private joinery. Pupils have excellent conditions for getting professional qualifications.
In 1991 the first Regional Competition of Fitness Plays for Special School was held, Its founder was Mr. Boguslaw Wrzosek. and the event is continued to this day.
In the same year, a change in the position of manager of the dormitory took place . Krystyna Wyszyńska was replaced by Bozena Kobylińska who over the next 16 years skillfully organized revalidation process of her pupils .
Recently, the center is equipped with modern teaching aids and therapeutic methods – Tomatis method and EEG biofeedback.
Thanks to the financial support of the City and PEFRON, the dormitory building was completely renovated and adapted to the needs of physically disabled.
Year 2006 was a special period. These were difficult times for all center staff, students, parents and friends. After a long and serious illness the director of the center Irena Zmaczyńska died on 12 September 2006
Since January 2006 The Center was directed by Marzenna Habib. Her deputy was Ms Katarzyna Zak-Bystrzycka and the dormitory manager was Waldemar Kamiński.
The Special Education Centre was moved to a new building at number 23A, Kazimierzowska Street on 15 June 2015. The new building is equipped in an elevator for disabled people and a new gym. The classrooms are equipped with computers with Internet access and projectors. Two classrooms have interactive boards.
At the beginning of the school year 2015/2016 Krzysztof Prochenka took over the position of the headmaster. Since September 2016 Dorota Kamińska has been his deputy and Karol Seroczyński has been the manager of the school dormitory.